Bienvenidos al blog Crónicas Aldeanas, creado por Félix Anesio, para la difusión de mi obra literaria y la de todos aquellos que deseen colaborar. Asimismo, servirá para la promoción de otras manifestaciones artísticas y culturales.

Tale of Two Villages, created by Felix Anesio, for the promotion of my literary works, as well as any other participants who wish to collaborate. Also, this blog will promote other artistic and cultural manifestations.

viernes, 30 de julio de 2010

Southern Picaresque: Mark Twain's "Huckleberry Finn"


Perhaps the greastest novel in North American Literature, Twain's Huckleberry is a prime example of the burlesque, with a penchant towards the picaresque, in very much the same level as Don Quijote. Huck and Jim's adventures in the Mississippi River are incomparable, nostalgic, symbolic. Narrated in the southern vernacular, this book is a definite must-read. With verisimilitude, Twain has created a work of supreme endurance, one that undoubtedly merges romanticism and realism, encompassing southern ethics, refusal to reform, love, hate, filial obligations, slavery, fact and fiction. An example of Twain's multitalented art is his authentic and ingenuous way of conjuring real life phonetic speech: "Dah, now, Huck, what I tell you?--what I tell you up dah on Jackson islan'? I tole you I got a hairy breas;, en what's de sign un it; en I tole you I ben rich wunst, en gwinter to be rich agin; en it's come true; en heah she is! Dah, now! I doan' talk to me--signs is signs, mine I tell you; en I knowed jis' 's well 'at I 'uz gwinter be rich agin as I's a stannin' heah dis minute!" Recommended Reading.

3 comentarios:

  1. That book changed my life definitely... It was: before Huck, and after Huck. And a curious thing is that I read it when I was just a boy. I never forgot it.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. You cannot appreciate or understand American literature until you have read Huckaberry Finn. It is a timeless novel that has been read by dozens of generations and many generations to come will continue to read it. I read this book as a freshmen in High School and this was the novel that made me fall in love with literature.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. One of my favorite books of all times. I have read it like three times from beginning to end. I love Mark Twain! The greatest humorist of North American Literature.

    ResponderEliminar